This checklist is intended to serve as a guide for student teams applying to the 2014 Ohio Clean Energy Challenge.
- Register and participate in one of the Challenge Overview Webinars on Sept. 13 or Sept. 17.
- Review the Challenge overview
- Review the schedule of events
- Review the eligibility requirements
- Review the Intent to Apply and application instructions, requirements and templates
- Review the evaluation criteria
- Contact your school’s Challenge Champion (university/college Challenge coordinator) and inform them that you are interested in applying to the Challenge.
- Confirm that your technology is an approved Challenge technology. A list of approved technologies is included in the eligibility requirements. If you are unsure if your technology is approved, please contact your Challenge Champion.
- Contact your school’s technology transfer office or Department of Energy licensing officer to discuss intellectual property and validate that your technology has been approved for inclusion in your Challenge application.
- Build your team and seek cross-disciplinary team members
- Register your team on the Clean Energy Exchange application portal. For instructions, click here
- Submit your Intent to Apply through the Ohio Student Challenge track on the Clean Energy Exchange by Fri. Oct. 4, at 11:59 p.m. For the Intent to Apply instructions and template, click here
- Register and participate in the Skill Building Webinar Series
- Download and review the Challenge application instructions, requirements and template
- Download and review the required Intellectual Property Disclosure Statement and Intellectual Property Declaration Form
- Download and review the detailed evaluation criteria
- Work with your school’s Challenge Champion, entrepreneurial centers, technology transfer offices, and faculty advisors as your develop your application and 3-minute video investor pitch.
- Review Challenge resources available on the Clean Energy Exchange Ohio Student Challenge track
- Review the Ohio Mentorship Program
- Continue to develop your application and 3-minute video investor pitch
- Complete, sign and scan the required Intellectual Property Disclosure Statement and Intellectual Property Declaration Form. These forms will be uploaded with your application.
- We recommend uploading and testing your 3-minute video investor pitch to avoid technical difficulties. Videos may not upload immediately on YouTube due to recording device, file size and YouTube traffic. Please plan ahead.
- Prepare and review your application and all required documents for submission.
- Submit your complete application through the Ohio Student Challenge track on the Clean Energy Exchange by Fri., Nov. 22, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- Semifinalist teams advancing to the Ohio Competition will be announced on Fri. Dec. 6
Semifinalist teams competing in the Ohio Competition live pitch event on Jan. 29 must complete the following steps. Any additional steps and instructions will be emailed to team leads.
- Review your first-round application scores on the Clean Energy Exchange. The first round evaluation scores and comments should help teams prepare and make improvements for the Ohio Competition.
- Semifinalist teams will participate in the Ohio Mentorship Program where they will be paired with experienced entrepreneurs and/or technical experts. Teams will work closely with their mentors to refine and strengthen their commercialization strategy and live investor pitch for the Ohio Competition on Jan. 29.
- Teams will be provided with contact information for their mentors and teams should reach out to schedule an introductory call with their mentor(s) as soon as possible
- Review the live pitch and presentation guidelines
- Review the Ohio Competition team requirements and schedule
- Team should continue to work with their mentors to refine and strengthen their commercialization strategy and live investor pitch for the Ohio Competition on Jan. 29.
- Register for the Ohio Competition. There is no cost to register; however, all team members participating in the Ohio Competition must register by Fri. Jan. 3.
- Create your team poster. Semifinalist teams will also attend the VIP Reception on Jan. 28 where they will have an opportunity to display a team poster and interact with energy leaders in Ohio. To view poster guidelines, click here
- Participate on one of the competition overview conference calls on Jan. 17 or Jan. 21
- Attend the Ohio Competition VIP Reception and presentation run-through on Jan. 28
- Attend the Ohio Competition and Jan. 29
Application Deadline: Nov. 22
Student teams interested in applying to the 2014 Challenge are asked to submit their completed Application by Fri., Nov. 22, at 11:59 p.m. EST. For more information, visit the How to Apply page.